‘Katie Kupcake? Why?’ My friend Rebecca told me I was as cute as a cupcake (or something along those lines) and it sort of stuck. Katie Cupcake was taken and the double K thing looks cooler anyway. Furthermore, I need to start looking for a ‘real job.’ Professors and mentors told me to clean up my Facebook and blog if I ever want to get hired. First off, I don’t want to work for anyone who thinks that my debauchery is anything less than awesome. Second of all, my Facebook is comprised of years and years of ridiculously awesome photos and I do not want to censor them from my friends. I figured I would keep ‘Katie Kupcake’ off my resume, creepy stalkers from prospective employers will not have my alias. Boom.
So anyway, I made my first batch of cupcakes this week. S’mores quadruple layer decadent treats. I started off with a layer of buttery graham crackers, then added a quarter inch of dark chocolate, devils food cake, and topped it off with my marshmallow frosting. (made from scratch!) Go big or go home.
Here they are fresh out of the oven, I put a mini marshmallow in the middle of each of them and sprinkled the top with more buttery graham cracker and dark chocolate that was left over from the first two layers.
marshmallow frosting finished off with graham cracker pieces, chunks of chocolate and little marshmallows.
here you can see all four layers! yum yum.
Ingredients (to make 24 cupcakes)
- 1 box of devil’s food cake mix or a recipe for some sort of yummy chocolate cake
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 20 squares)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Mix cupcake batter according to directions on box, or be an overachiever and make it from scratch.
- Place 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup melted butter in a large bowl; stir until well combined.
- Place 1 tablespoon graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each prepared muffin cup. Use the bottom of a small glass to pack crumbs into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Reserve remaining graham cracker mixture for topping.
- Place 2 teaspoons chocolate in each muffin cup. Transfer muffin tins to oven and bake until the edges of the graham cracker mixture is golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and fill each muffin cup three-quarters full with cake batter.
- Follow instructions on cake batter box (i used Betty Crocker because I did not feel like making the cake from scratch)
Frosting: (make sure cupcakes are cool before you frost them!)
- 1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme, butter and powdered sugar on low speed until blended. Beat in enough milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to make frosting spreadable. Spread over tops of cupcakes.
Garnish with a chunk of chocolate, a piece of graham cracker and a little marshmallow.
This recipe is basically a combonation between these two:
Martha Stewart’s and Betty Crocker’s. Refer to the originals for more help. Martha is bad-ass and wants you to toast the frosting with a kitchen torch. I love lighting stuff on fire but I do not have the tools.